Sunday, January 18, 2009


Name: Rohan Jhaveri
Written Marks: 169 (Rank 1)
Written Percentile: 99.99
GD+PI+PAR score: 199
Final Rank: 2
Current Status: Pursuing MBA @ JBIMS in the First Year


Tell us something about your background
Answer: I had done my schooling from St. Xavier’s High School, Borivali, post which I took up Vocational Science at Mithibai College. I was 3rd in Mumbai and 5th in Maharashtra in the Engineering CET. I joined VJTI, Mumbai where I completed my Electronics engineering. Post my graduation, I joined JBIMS.

What is your goal in life and why do you want to pursue Management?
Answer: My immediate goal is to make the most out of my two years at JBIMS by adding value to myself in terms of knowledge building and skill development. In the long run, I would definitely like to start my own enterprise by implementing whatever I learn in my 2 years at JBIMS and perhaps what I learn while working in the company I get into.
The answer to “Why MBA” is highly subjective. My reason for taking up management education was the inclination towards finance and management that I developed during the course of my engineering education. Also MBA gives a broader perspective of business and also helps in developing a holistic approach to life.

How did you prepare for CET?
Answer: I had prepared for other management exams before CET, so for CET I only focussed on CET specific strategies. I had joined a coaching class for CAT and my fundamentals got cleared during the course of preparing for CAT. Once the fundamentals were in place, cracking CET meant developing speed. For that I practised hard by taking up a number of Mock tests. More importantly I identified my strong and weak areas and developed strategies to optimise my scores. My mantra of success in CET is Practice, more and more practice.

Please enumerate the difference between CET and other exams management exams
Answer: CET is different from management exams like CAT and XAT in terms of the difficulty level. In CET, the focus is more on speed, accuracy and quick decision making, precisely what a manager focuses on while facing challenging issues. Hence, the difficulty level in CET is much lower compared to CAT or XAT. Unlike other exams, there are no sections nor any sectional cut-offs in CET. It does not include a general awareness section but what it does include is a Visual Reasoning section which is unique to CET.

What is the difficulty level of CET as compared to CAT?
Answer: The difficulty level in CET is quite low as compared to CAT. Having said that, the number of questions is more and accuracy required is higher. Also, while CAT tests the analytical abilities of an individual, CET is more oriented towards testing one’s common sense because at the end of the day, what you require as a manager while taking business decisions is common sense.

What were the salient features of your CET preparations during the last 15 days to CET?
Answer: In the last 15 days, I concentrated on practice. I tried to increase my attempts as well as my accuracy. I tried to identify those areas where my speed can be improved, perhaps by using a different method to solve those questions, so that the time saved can then be used for those sections which I found comparatively difficult. I took 5-6 Mock Tests every week in the last 15 days. Finally, strategies are highly subjective, they may work for some, may not work for some. What works for you should be your strategy!!

What was your strategy for the CET exam day?
Answer: On the exam day, my only strategy was to relax and be in a calm and composed state of mind. I did not solve a single sum, nor did I go through any material. If you haven’t gone through something till the last day, it is never going to fetch you marks in the exam. I had a very good sleep. I got up that day with in a confident frame of mind with a sole focus of cracking the CET. The idea is to be confident and also keep yourself reminding that this is not the end of the world for you.
CET also involves lot of Speed. Any special strategies for that aspect?
Answer: If a question takes more than 1-1.5 min, it is advisable that we overcome our egos and not try wasting more time on the question!!! The idea is to guess the answer and move ahead, because even if you get the final answer, you would have wasted a lot of time which is not desirable. Identify the areas where you take longer time to solve the questions. Try finding an alternate method to solve those questions which may be time-saving. If not then leave those questions for the end.
Any change in preparation strategy in hindsight?
Answer: Not really. The strategy that I used worked for me and nobody wants to change a match-winning strategy!!!

List the 5 most important preparation points with 15 days remaining and some mistakes to avoid.
Answer:
Practice
Identify the strategy that works best for you
Work on your accuracy in the Mocks
Set targets for number of questions to be solved
Relax and keep your spirits high

How is life at JBIMS?
Answer: The atmosphere at JBIMS is highly competitive and at the same time full of fun. One is involved in a melange of activities like presentations, group studies, inter and intra collegiate events and of course academics. Also, the main highlight of JBIMS is the amount of Industry exposure that one gets through frequent Guest lectures and summers and Off-summers. Also there is a lot of Team work and Team Building involved by working for various Committees

Among its contemporaries, where do you place JBIMS
Answer: I would rate JBIMS right among the top B- Schools of the country. The reason being it has an excellent intellectual infrastructure with the top 120 students among 75000 odd students appearing for CET joining JBIMS. It has a well-equipped library which can be considered among the best libraries in the country. The faculty at JBIMS are among the most experienced people from the industry. Its location in the heart of the financial capital with big corporate houses around, gives incredible opportunities for industry interaction.

Can you give an insight of the factors that affected your choice of college
Answer: In order of Importance:
Reputation
Industry and Practical Exposure
Student Quality
Location
Placements

Anything you would like to advice to this year’s aspirants?
Answer: Be cool and confident while taking the test. An important mantra for success in any exam is ‘Work hard, Practice harder and leave the rest to God’.

Give some advantages which JBIMS enjoys over other colleges in its league?
Answer:
Location
High degree of Industry Exposure
Quality of faculty

How was your experience in the CET Group Discussion and Personal Interview (GD-PI)?
Answer: CET GD-PI – Centre K J Somaiya
GD: 1. Group of 10 students.
2. Two Panellists.
3. Semicircular seating arrangement
4. Topic selected “Excessive display of violence on TV and its effects”
5. Duration: About 15 min
It wasn’t the Ideal GD that we all look forward to. It turned into a so-called ‘Fish Market’. The key to such a GD is to remain calm and not to contribute to the raging debate. Rather one should limit one’s entries but make very good points. The moderator will appreciate the way you handle a chaotic situation like this if you make limited entries but make match-winning points.
PI: Every candidate is asked to fill up a form giving his personal details. Most of the questions in the interview are based on what you write in the form. Be well prepared with some general questions, like “Why MBA”, “Your goals in life”, “Why Finance/Marketing”, etc. Also, at times, some questions based on work experience and academics are also asked; like in my case, I was asked a lot of questions on my Final year engineering project.
At the end of the day, it is only your confidence and self- elief that is tested along with your communication skills and presence of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment